Friday, September 12, 2008

How walkable is your neighborhood

Sometime back Rachel asked the question 'how walkable is your neighborhood?' and I have pondered that for sometime. After visiting friends in London, once upon a time, their neighborhood was very walkable and public transit friendly, to my somewhat envy, I have wanted to live where it is walkable. And many times when out shopping in the enormous black asphalt of parking lots, state, if we were in London we would be walking. All to say, I have the blessing of working downtown on the precipice of residential homes. In this part of the country, many of our old homes have been converted to commercial office spaces, and I work in this area of town. Most of the time I walk during my lunch time, and as I leave my office and walk down amongst the old homes...I'm never being disappointed in my walks. And after our recent visit to Taliesin West, my appreciation of these old homes has been renewed. (American architecture) I love the landscaping, some very formal, some not so...with gates and 'additions' and fencing, but the homes themselves...awesome...in an era of 'franchise' shopping and 'tract homes' where everything is the same, I desire the return of the unique, one of a kind home. So, my neighborhood might not be so conveniently walkable, to the market or dry cleaners, I do enjoy my almost daily walks in and around the not so 'cookie cutter' homes of downtown. This is a sampling of what I see...This has to be one of my favorite homes...barrel dormers, upstairs on the side french doors onto a porch that sits in the leaves of the trees...the landscaping, azaleas, a dogwood tree, Japanese red and green maples, in the fall she puts pumpkins on the porch...

Don't you just love homes with big front porches...This house is Huge! with almost no backyard, i know, I drove up the alley!


American flags flying!

I love the charm of this house. Reminds me of SLO, the fountain and 'growies' tangled everywhere, a cushioned bench underneath giant shade trees beckons me to sit a while and sip ice coffee and read a book...




Neatly trimmed picket fence!



Okay, so these are mostly landscapes...I was a little nervous taking too many pictures of houses..

No comments: