Saturday, September 4, 2010

Beach Days

The beach has a power over me. Each visit brings a flood of voices and memories to mind. Today was no different. A mostly impulsive day trip to one of the best beaches close to us, Santa Barbara, with my son in law, daughter and their two boys. The first sensation of sand on my feet, toes digging into the warm sand, don't you love it?! And then the first chilling water as it rushes across my feet, and the pull of the sand as the water rushes back into the ocean, makes me dizzy! With the shadow of my childhood as my companion, I played with my Henry in the sand, scrunching our toes in the warmth. We threw rocks, since there aren't many shells, we ran from the waves and jumped the bigger waves! Henry and I walked the beach seeking a kite at the other end, but got distracted by the huge flock of sea birds! They were amazing! As Henry grew closer 200 birds of all kinds took flight over our heads!!! And I was 'blessed' by one of them! Henry nor I gathered driftwood to build a bonfire, those days of building a fire on the beach are pretty much gone, as well as picking crabs and starfish off the Rock, but the memories and voices of my childhood, with a grandmother walking the beach, showing us kids the treasures of the beach, were my companion today, along with a little reddish haired boy named Henry!

1 comment:

Laura said...

WOW, sitting at my desk in tears, I can't explain to anyone else what a flood of memories this has brought me. Your words were perfect and tells of our wonderful childhood as beach bums. I always wanted to write a story of those days, beach fires, wading in the ocean, feeding Gramma's Chicken, and being so close to a wonderful cousin. Our years there may have been small in comparison to our lives now, but those are my most cherished childhood days. Thank you for sharing, I'm going to smile all afternoon.